Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Land ho!

And this wasn't even at high tide...


The remnants of Hurricane Ida spent last Thursday, Friday and some of Saturday hanging out in South Jersey, dumping plenty of icy rain and strong winds through the region. It flooded in Ocean City. It ruined our beaches. We're now looking at $89 million* worth of damage.

Oh vey.

I honestly don't know what Ocean City is going to do. They spend millions to truck in loads of sand and dredge the beaches, only to have storms like this wipe everything away again. Our beaches are tiny, the boardwalk is practically over water at this point and, whenever it rains heavily (I'm not even talking storms here), my roommates and I can't even leave our house because the south end floods so much.

It's not looking good, O.C. Not looking good at all. Can you really fight Mother Nature and win? Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I don't think so.

Anyway, on a happier note, I'm going to be crafting some very wonderful surprises for friends tonight. I've got phase one of the project finished, but there's still a lot to do and many packages to prepare. I'm hoping to have them ready to mail out by early next week. I can't say anything here to give away the surprise, but I'll certainly be posting photos, so stay tuned!

*Edited to add: We found out on Thursday that the $89 million figure was a teensy bit inflated. Turns out, the people who assessed the damage did their math wrong. It was supposed to be $8 to $9 million. Nice, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment