Friday, November 20, 2009

A Starbucks Christmas


I finally got my first Starbucks fix of the holiday season '09!

I knew our local shop made the Christmas-turnover on Monday, but I didn't want to go over by myself. (I know that sounds ridiculous, but my first Peppermint Mocha of the season is a huge deal to me, something I want to celebrate in good company.) I held out until last night, when John came over.

We each ordered a Peppermint Mocha and cookies (John got the polar bear sugar cookie; I got a chocolate chunk). I also picked up the new Starbucks holiday album, "Making Merry" (always a guaranteed good mix). I was practically squealing with excitement when we parked the car, and let's just say John didn't quite share my enthusiasm. He also wasn't too into my taking photos of the occasion, but to be fair, I only used the camera on my cell phone. (I could've busted out my huge camera from work, but I was trying to be considerate to John's fear of embarrassment in front of strangers.)

Anyway, here's the goods:


They tasted divine - a perfect blend of cool peppermint with bittersweet chocolate, topped with fluffy whipped cream and chocolate shavings. Seriously - what sounds better than that?

I love this year's theme and decorations. John and I critique every year (and still shake our heads at the whole paper-cone-wreath fiasco from 2005), and I think he agreed with me that this year's were pretty sweet. There's a whole "wish" theme going on, and the typeface has a fun, handwritten feel to it. The design is like a Christmas tree - lots of pine boughs and "hanging" ornaments.

Although, the decor is not as in-your-face-festive as usual, which I imagine some people are grateful for, but it left me wanting a little bit more. For one, there's no wreaths on the doors. There's always wreaths on the doors at Starbucks for Christmas, so that was a little sad. Howev, they did have these cool snowy pine bough decals across the windows and glass doors; the snowy theme was continued indoors, too.

So, overall? Great time. Excellent drink, festive atmosphere, perfect partner in crime - save for the whole not-quite-sharing my holiday obsession thing, of course. I wonder if it has something to do with his working in retail and having to listen to Christmas music around the clock?

Nah. Can't be that. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment